Now that we’ve moved into the new house, it’s time for some plants. There is a nice sized rock wall that faces west, and has good southern exposure. Naturally, I’ve got a xeriscape to plan. And… the featured image is somewhat what I’d like the wall to look like eventually. It is a mass of aeoniums at the Wellington Botanic Garden. My rock wall is currently too pitiful to share on the web.
I’ve got a lot of space to fill with cactus. Nearly one hundred square feet, to put a number on it. It’s going to take a while before I get it filled up, but it’ll look great when it’s done. I’m thinking about agaves, opuntias, echinopsis, cylindropuntias, yuccas… the list goes on.
Anyway, I was finally able to put a few of my small plants out into the rock wall. It will eventually be dry, I’m sure; but after this record-breaking rain we’ve been having it is hard to imagine it ever being dry. I dug out the heavy clay that filled the plantable areas, and replaced it with a sand/vermiculite/fast draining potting soil mix.
I also put together a rain shield, out of lumber, plastic sheeting and rebar. The temperatures from here on out shouldn’t be a problem, but the amount of rain in the next month may be. Hopefully this will keep the xeric plants happier. If this works well (which I’m counting on) I may do something like this for some of the more moisture sensitive plants that I may eventually put in the wall.
I’ll be waiting patiently for the Rare Plant Research annual open nursery in May. They always have plenty of large opuntia for sale. I’ll have to bring a trailer!